Friday 2 January 2015

Kwango-ho shin experiment

Kwango-Ho Shin experiment.

The idea behind this experiment was to use Shin's style for my two initial ideas. It was also so i could achieve a better understanding of his expressive painting style. 

Method: 
  1. Grab your material, that will consist of acrylic paint, charcoal, pen, pencil and pot of water. 
  2. Draw out your image you wish to paint. for me it was my first idea which was a portrait of my dog.
  3. Next I outlined the portrait with charcoal to define the basic structure. Once that'd done you can start painting.
  4. I used dark but bold colours to give off a murky vibe. To be honest the placement of paint is random because I wanted to give off the messy impression. One thing to keep in mind is to add a direction to the paint to give off the impression of areas of shape and shadow. 
  5. The basic idea is to layer the paint thickly. 
  6. Next I moved onto my second idea, having a dog features on a human body. For this I repeated step 1-3 but with the charcoal I used it to shade and outline the fair and hat, then I proceeded to paint the face. 
  7. I made sure to show areas of light and dark by using black and white. I layered the paint thickly. 
  8. Next I choose to paint the dog ears similarly to the face except I kept to brown and black and instead of messy blotched painting style I chose to use fine lines of paint.
  9. I also did a copy in black and white but the ears I used multicolour in the same style as the face, but this idea also didn't work.
  10. Since the ears didn't give me the desired effect I experimented with different media. I also chose to put in the eyes because that is something that shin does as well with his work. 
  11. I repeated 6-7. For the eyes I painted it in with acrylic paint but it gives a cartoon style to the eyes which isn't desired. For the ears I used felt pens, using brown and oranges.This also didnt give me the desired effect because it made the ears look flat. 
  12. For my final piece I repeated 6-7 again but instead of having both eyes i chose to have one, again that was painted in with paint. I also used pen again for the ears in the same style as my last experiment. 
  13. After all that clean up your area.


  1. I also created a larger version of this except this time the style was more similar to shins original style. i kept the processes the same but I changed the hair i painted over the charcoal to create depth, and produce a more slick appearance. I also dragged the paint around the neck area down. i think this gives the image a more distorted atmosphere.   





Health & safety
  1. Clean up after yourself once you're finished.
  2. If charcoal and paint gets into your eyes wash it out with warm water.

Combining Lucia Emanuela Curzi and Shin.

This development came about because my experiment with shin didn't work as I'd hope, so for this idea I wanted to combine Lucia with shin. 

Method: 
  1. First I gathered all my material. Pen, watercolours, acrylic paint, oil pastels and charcoal. 
  2. Next I drew two basic outline of my image, this included the hair, hat, facial expression and dog ears.
  3. For the first one I started with the face using pen, ink and watercolours. I used pen for the outline of the face as well as the facial features. I also exaggerated the eyelash length. 
  4. Next I used water colours to fill in the basic features. The water colour was used for the eyes. I also used it to create a basic wash to create shadow on the nose and give a little bit of colour to the cheeks. It was also used to fill in the lips with a bright pink with a hint of purple. The water colours don't bleed with the pen so they work together pretty well. 
  5. Next I used the oil pastels and charcoal on the hair, ears and hat. The charcoal was used to simply fill in the hat with a block of colour. I used the oil pastel for the hair using a simple line pattern that  is built up with different colour pastels like brown, red and black. I then went over it with charcoal to give definitive lines. As for the ears I used curved lines, although this style makes the ears loose definition. 
  6. Next I painted the halo effect around the face, kind of like a blooming flower. For this I used a thick layer of murky colours. I used short brush strokes to encase the area around the face. I also added in a lot of black and white.
  7. I then went back to the watercolours and used that to paint the collar using green and orange, adding a little tone and texture. 
  8. I then proceeded onto my second drawing and basically went about it using the same method although  for step 3 i changed the pen for the watercolours, I used them to outline the face and the facial features. I then used the water colours to fill in the detail. I then repeated the rest of the steps. The water colours didn't work because they gave messy wide lines unlike the pen and it they bleed into each other. 
  9. Finally clean up your work area.

Health & safety
  1. Clean up after you've finished your work.




















No comments:

Post a Comment